May 28th, 2010 — 4:23pm
Another bank holiday weekend! Has and I are going shopping for our rings tomorrow, we’re going to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham to find ourselves a deal… hopefully!
Our friends were married in New York earlier this month, as most of their family and friends couldn’t attend they are having a party tomorrow night to celebrate. I hope they have pictures to show us! They got married in the Empire State Building, I bet it was amazing!
Also, today I ordered myself…… an iPhone!! Yay!! It will be arriving tomorrow morning and I.can’t.wait
Things I’ve been loving this week
- Hipstamatic for the iPhone will probably be the first app I buy!
- Young Love, I “awwww’d” a little louder with each and every photo
- Not sure what it is about this engagement shoot that I love so much, maybe it’s because the bride is so beautiful, or the cute floating away photo or even the remake of the Beatles cover, which ever it was I love, love, loved it
- A engagement shoot too pretty for words
- This vintage beach shoot is so different, not sure I would ever be brave enough to pose in my swim suit though!
- I couldn’t stop smiling when I saw this wedding, it looked like a day full of love, laughter and geeks! Read about it here and here
- Love the location, love the dress, love the flowers, LOVE the shoes!
- Check out the dress! Gorgeous… and those photos on the Brooklyn Bridge.. perfection!
- Fabulous dresses were huge this week! This mountain side wedding is unbelievable!
- Wedding in a tree house anyone?
- Doily envelopes… what a fab idea!
- Don’t fancy a flower bouquet? How about one made from pretty door knobs?
- These maybe a little advanced for my sugar crafting skills but, wow, just wow!
- Fun ideas for photo booths with a difference
- Create your own DIY vintage book ring holder… easy peasy!
- Goodbye LOST, I’ll miss you
Have a wonderful weekend xxx
1 comment » | Some Things...
May 28th, 2010 — 10:41am
Last night me and Suzie joined Sarah in her Blue Door Bakery for a lesson in swirls, sugar shapes and sprinkles. It was pure cupcake heaven!
As well as me and Suzie, 5 other ladies joined us including Louise who writes a food blog Comida yVida. We all sat round a table full of cutters, gel colourings, spatulas, rollers and sprinkles in every shape, size and colour you could imagine.
We learnt about sugar paste and we able to use different gel colours to create beautiful shapes from the dozens of cutters she had. (Sarah had made a purple sprinkles section for me to sit next to!) These were mine and Suzie’s creations.
Can you guess which ones were mine!!?
Sarah taught us how to make the best tasting fondant and butter cream icing and then how to create perfect peaks and rose swirls.
We each had 12 cupcakes to decorate with our icing, sugar shapes and sprinkles. It was so much fun! We even had the chance to fill our cupcakes with a chocolate ganache Sarah had made earlier, yum!
Look how proud we are!
A closer look at our cupcakes, mine…
You’ll see Suzie perfected the rose swirl, a lot better than my attempts! We had such a fun time and I would definitely recommend a workshop to anyone who loves cupcakes and baking.
Suzie and I also left with a cupcake decorating kit, which includes loads of goodies needed to recreate these decorations at home. You can buy these online or when you attend one of these workshops.
Thank you Sarah for being a wonderful host and teacher… I want to do it all again!!
2 comments » | Cupcakes
May 27th, 2010 — 1:50pm
Hopefully making gorgeous looking cupcakes at the Blue Door Bakery Decorating Workshop I can’t tell you how excited I am!
I shall post the outcome tomorrow….!
Comment » | Cupcakes
May 27th, 2010 — 9:38am
I’ve been sticking to the diet religiously, even when we went out to Stratford I included a 99 ice cream into my points. I’m very much in the zone and although I have a few wobbles where I would kill for a doughnut or pizza I’m focused on my end goal.
Last week I put on 1/2 pound. It really upset me, the only thing I can think of that may have caused the gain was because I ate a meal of chicken and spaghetti before being weighed. (Never again!)
Today is my usual weigh in day, but as I’m going to the Blue Door Bakery cupcake decorating workshop I went last night instead. I’m happy to report that I lost 2 1/2 pounds. Yay!
1 comment » | Weight Loss
May 26th, 2010 — 2:48pm
Another round of suppliers, resources, blogs and websites that I have found invaluable throughout my wedding planning journey
I used to walk into newsagents and shops and casually browse at lifestyle magazines, flick through Cosmopolitan or Ideal Home, whilst eyeing up the glossy covers of the wedding section. It was silly to be picking those up whilst I didn’t have a ring on my finger. So at the earliest opportunity after Has got down on one knees, I picked up a copy of the first wedding related magazine I could lay my hands on.
I used to spend an absolute fortune on wedding magazines and have quite the collection at home. My overall favourite has to be Wedding Ideas Magazine
. It comes in handbag size and is packed with real weddings, ideas, advice, beautiful themes, accessories and dresses. It soon became the only magazine I would buy every month. I joined the forums
and spent ages reading about how other brides were planning their day. What I like about this magazine is not only is it a great price (£2.99) but it isn’t filled with things that are out of reach. It is aimed at the average bride who doesn’t have a never-ending budget like some bridal magazines. You’ll still find it packed full of lovelies but for everything that is on the higher end of the budget scale there will be a bargainous alternative
Whilst their website maybe a bit clunky you really can’t complain about the price. I have ordered all our pocket folds and extra paper from PDA Card and Craft
and I can’t find a single bad thing to say about them. Their prices make it cheaper for brides to DIY their own invitations and the quality of the card is great for the price. You might see a slight difference if you held it up next to a more expensive option but your guests will never know. I searched high and low for pocket fold cards so I could make our invitations myself, I found using PDA Card and Craft
I would save at least half of what I was expecting to pay.
After seeing a handful of photographers we didn’t click with I was beginning to get a little frustrated. I spent hours online trying to find a photographer who would deliver exactly what we wanted. I found Deborah Stott
and loved what I saw and asked her for a sample of her work. She sent us a brochure with prices and a DVD with photos from a wedding she had not long done. We met the lovely Deborah for a chat and she was so interested in our wedding. She wanted to know every little detail and it didn’t seem at all false. I loved that she took so much interest and shortly after we confirmed her for our wedding day. Deborah is based in Trentham, Stoke on Trent but is available to travel throughout the UK.
Know of an amazing blog or website that has offered you with invaluable advice or inspiration throughout your planning? Or are you a supplier who believe your service is tip top? If you want to be featured on Wedding Wednesday please send me an email.
1 comment » | Wedding Wednesday
May 25th, 2010 — 9:15pm
Following on from my earlier post today, this article popped up in my Google Reader and I knew I had to share.
1 comment » | Lifestyle
May 25th, 2010 — 3:28pm
Without going in to too much detail I haven’t really been feeling myself lately. I have a reoccurring problem which is really getting me down. It’s nothing serious, but the doctors can’t tell me what it is. I have sore blisters on my toe which stop me from wearing shoes and walking properly. Ouch
I had it last year and after several rounds of antibiotics and antiviral tablets, combined with a cocktail of creams it finally went away after it plagued me for about 3 months.
Obviously with our wedding only 5 months away I’m worried about this cropping up again. I’m being referred to a dermatologist so hopefully they can shed some light on what it is!
It got me thinking. What if I do get it again for the wedding or come down with another sickness? What can we do to prevent or minimise our chances of being ill? I wrote this post
a little while ago about how to boost your immune system with different foods but I have since found a few bits of advice on how to stay in tip-top condition for your wedding day.
Pre-Wedding day wonders
- Don’t skip meals - It’s important to keep your body nourished, if you want to lose a few extra pounds before your wedding day do so sensibly, your body needs food to maintain it’s energy and skipping on meals will leave you feeling lethargic . Try eating a diet rich in lean protein such as fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, beans, peas and lentils. They will help you feel fuller for longer, so you can slim down in a healthier way.
- Catch plenty of Zzz’s - However tempting it is to stay up and just finish off the last few favours or table plan, remember research shows that sleep helps boost your immune system, plus you’ll feel extra refreshed after a good nights sleep to face the day.
- Scrub-a-dub-dub! - Many infections spread from person to person, germs are picked up easily through keyboards, hand rails and door handles to name but a few. (Eeeww!) It’s a good idea to carry around antibacterial gel and getting into the habit of wash your hand regularly for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap.
- Take your vitamins - Even if you do have a healthy diet you can give your body extra help by adding vitamins to your daily routine. Vitamins A and C have been proven to prevent colds whilst research suggests people who took a garlic supplement were less likely to have a cold.
- Relax! - Stress can make you ill. Planning a wedding can be very stressful so you need to allow yourself time to relax and do something unrelated. It is said exercise is very good at beating stress, failing that treat yourself to a massage or an hour in the bath with a good book.
Uh-Oh! On the day offenders.
So, what if the worst happens and you wake up on the morning of your wedding feeling more like a monster than the blushing bride? There are a few tips you can follow to help you feel and look better.
- Red or puffy eyes - Your beautician should be able to hide any dark circles with a good concealer but you can reduce swelling with a cold wash cloth or if you can get hold of it, cucumber works wonders. Sit with your eyes closed for around 10 minutes and it should help reduce any puffiness by constricting the blood vessels
- Diarrhoea - It could be the nerves! However keeping a supply of Imodium in your survival kit isn’t such a bad idea. Remember to keep yourself hydrated otherwise you could end up feeling worse.
- Bloating - Again it could just be those nerves kicking in but Peppermint tea or oil is a quick fix for bloating and abdominal pains.
- Upset Stomachs - Keep a handy bottle of Pepto Bismol in your survival kit. I’ve also found that a glass of flat fizzy pop can help settle a tummy. Place a metal spoon in the glass to remove some of the bubbles.
- Sore Throat – Sip a hot drink like honey and lemon or ginger tea. Any hot thin drink is good for helping sooth a sore throat. You may also want to keep a pack of throat soothers in your survival kit.
- Colds, coughs and sneezes - Unfortunately there isn’t a quick fix. Take paracetamol or a decongestant to help with any pain. I have always found the Sudafed Nasal Spray to be pretty effective for blocked noses. Remember to dab moisturiser around your nose to stop it becoming red and dry.
- Spots – Today of all days you wake up with what looks like the start of a new nose. Don’t panic and whatever you do… do NOT squeeze, you’ll only make it worse. Any good beautician will be able to cover it but you can help reduce the swelling by applying a cold wash cloth over the offending pimple. Toothpaste, tea tree oil and cucumber are also good at helping to reduce the red and swollen spot.
The chances are you’ll wake up feeling as fresh as a daisy on your wedding day, but if you don’t, as hard as it may be… relax. If you panic and start to get yourself upset you’ll only make yourself feel worse. Enjoy the day, trust me as long as I can walk I’m getting myself down that aisle!
Comment » | Lifestyle
May 24th, 2010 — 11:22am
It’s been such a lovely weekend and we really have made the most of it!
It was 24°c and glorious
Yesterday we went to visit with my parents my god parents who live in Stratford. I’m really close to my god parents, Trevor is doing a reading at our wedding and their daughter Harriet (my parents god daughter) has kindly offered to do my make up.
They live a 5 minute walk from the town centre so after sitting in the garden for a while we walked in for a late lunch/early dinner. But as the weather was so nice we decided to have an ice cream first!
Daddy with the ice creams!
Busy, busy, busy!
We sat around by the river for a while watching the boats and the insane teenagers swimming in it! It was really very busy, we had thought about hiring a boat but the queue was so long and the sun was so hot we moved on to a lovely pub/
restaurant and sat outside in the shade.
Has, Daw, Harriet, Mom, Trevor and Dad strolling to the pub
Unfortunately due to a blockage (!?!) in the kitchen, we were unable to order any food so moved on in the centre of the town. Stratford is such a gorgeous place despite living only an hour away I haven’t visited in years.
The town is so pretty, with loads of cute and quirky shops, I love the old style buildings and of course no trip to Stratford would be complete without a picture of this place…
I’ve had such a lovely weekend, even if I did over indulge a little. It’s been nice to enjoy the warm weather especially since it’s suppose to be miserable again by the end of the week!
1 comment » | Laura's Life
May 24th, 2010 — 9:07am
Saturday was such a lovely day. I had planned for Suzie and Hayley to come round in the morning and we had lunch in the garden. We weather has been beautiful, so it was really nice to sit outside and enjoy our weight watcher friendly lunch of low fat pizza, quiche and salad followed by strawberries, jelly, meringue and cream all washed down with squash and a pot of tea.
We then picked up Natalie and Sophie and went to Wedding Belles
to order the dresses
Hayley hadn’t seen the dress in the flesh so I was really excited to see her in it. She looked beautiful of course!
We’ve ordered them in Amethyst for the two older bridesmaids Suzie and Hayley and the younger girls Natalie and Sophie are wearing them in Plum. It’s very difficult choosing the colours from tiny swatches but we managed to find similar colours from other dresses the store had to make our decision.
The ladies in the store have been absolutely wonderful. The first time we went they both dedicated all their time to us and made suggestions when we needed them but stood back to let us make our own decisions and didn’t give us the hard sell which I have found some shop assistants to do. They are ordering me some swatches to keep of the colours we have picked which will be a huge help when it comes to matching shoes, plus it’s nice to have something to keep until the dresses arrive.
Another big tick off the list!
2 comments » | Attire, Bridesmaids
May 22nd, 2010 — 4:41pm
Sorry this is little late, I was feeling under the weather yesterday so spent most of the day curled up on the chair in the lounge.
The weather this weekend is extremely hot 24 degrees today – we haven’t seen the sun in a very long time! It finally feels like summer is here.
Have a nice weekend, enjoy the weather xxx
Comment » | Some Things...